Monday, October 5, 2009

Halloween Smiles

Good Morning!

I hope you all enjoyed a wonderful, relaxing weekend! Today I created a Halloween card for the Stamping 411 Saturday Sketch Challenge.

I used the Pumpkin Patch stamp set to make this card. I just love these happy little guys! My colors are Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Elegant Eggplant (sounds like a menu, doesn't it?), and Whisper White.

I began by stamping my pumpkins on scraps of Whisper White and cutting them out. I stamped the grass along the bottom of my 2 1/2" square and decided where I would place my pumpkins, then I used a Stamp-a-majig to correctly place the little curly-cues near the stems. The larger pumpkin is adhered directly to the square, while the round pumpkin is popped up on dimensionals. I matted this entire piece on Pumpkin Pie (2 3/4" square) and Elegant Eggplant (2 7/8" square).

For the strip across the card I started with the Pumpkin Pie piece. I cut it at 2" x 5 1/2" and used my Scallop Border punch along one long edge. Using this border punch cuts off 1/4" from the original piece, so I cut my Designer Series Paper strip at 1 3/8" x 5 1/2", so there would be an orange border along both the top and bottom. To tie in the Elegant Eggplant from my focal piece, I added the narrow strip along the top. I added 3 Old Olive brads to one end of this piece. I stamped my card front with the Sanded background stamp to give it a little texture and then adhered these finished pieces to my cardfront.

My sentiment was stamped with Black Staz-On ink and punched out with the large oval punch. I then punch out two scalloped ovals in Pumpkin Pie and Elegant Eggplant and played around with these pieces a bit. Using only one of the colors didn't work for me - it just looked like it was missing something. Creating an Elegant Eggplant border around the whole thing, like I did on my focal point, made it too heavy. So I finally settled on just offsetting the Elegant Eggplant behind the Pumpkin Pie. I like how it ties the color scheme together and kind of looks like a shadow below the sentiment. This piece is popped up on dimensionals.


On the inside of my card, I attached a piece of Whisper White cardstock to make a nice writing surface. I added a third little pumpkin down in the left-hand corner.

Thanks for stopping by! Go out and make today a great day!

Tammy



4 comments:

Patti Chesky said...

Thos jack-o-lanterns are so happy!!! I love how you followed the theme to the inside of the card. So nice!!

stamperbeth said...

What a happy card! Love those pumpkins.

Unknown said...

Such a bright, fun card! Nice job! Thanks for playing along this week!

Tanja said...

Woo Hoo! I was a happy recipient of this card!! It's SO cute Tammy. You are so talented.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online