Monday, September 28, 2009

Two cards from one sketch!

Hello! I hope you all had a wonderfully relaxing weekend! Today I chose to play along with the Saturday Sketch Challenge posted on Stamping 411. Yes, I know it's Monday - but that's okay! I made two very different cards using the same sketch. The nice thing about sketch challenges is the layout work is already done for you! All you have to do is follow the sketch with your chosen colors and stamps and have fun!


Here's my first card:


This card was made with a card base of Old Olive, a mat from Elegant Eggplant, and Cottage Wall Designer Series Paper. I stamped the butterfly from the Great Friend stamp set with Orchid Opulence ink and then used a sponge dauber to add Elegant Eggplant ink around the edges. Once the stamp was all inked, I huffed on it to make sure the ink was moist before I stamped my image. After the butterfly was stamped, I cut it out and mounted it on a medallion created with my 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches and my Scallop Circle punch. The butterfly is only attached along the center, so the wings can be curled up for a 3-D effect. The sentiment came from the Trendy Trees stamp set. The background of this card was textured by running it through the Big Shot with the Flourishes Texturz plate (after the sentiment was stamped).



On the inside of this card, I added some Whisper White cardstock as a writing surface. I "fancied up" the corners a bit with my Scallop Edge punch. Here is how I did this:






I placed the corner of my cardstock into the punch at a 45 degree angle, centering it on one of the scallops, and punched. Nothing to it! After I punched the corners, I sponged the edges with Elegant Eggplant ink and stamped the leaves with Old Olive.












My second card was created with the Winter Post and Four the Holidays stamp sets. I used a color combination of Real Red, Chocolate Chip, and Kraft. All of my edges were sponged with Chocolate Chip ink to give the card a vintage look. The great scallops around my 1 3/4" circle were created using this great tutorial from Selene Kempton. Thanks for the awesome idea, Selene!







So, that's it for today! I hope you all have a great day!






Tammy

3 comments:

Selene Kempton said...

Oh Wow!! I love your cards! When i saw your scallops and read your blog... woo hoo! that's me! (i'm totally honored) thank you.

I love the idea of using tools for things they were not intended for. I love the scallop corners on your first card.. I might just be casing you back!

Connie Babbert said...

Great job with both cards! Love them! thanks for playing this week!

Unknown said...

love love love both of these cards and I am right with you on using our punches for other things then what they are intended for!! Great way to sell them!!! thanks for playing along this week!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online